Guidance in educational and career orientation has long been neglected within Vietnamese education. This leads to less successful study and career choices of students in secondary education. The choices do not take into account the individual competences of the students. There is also a mismatch between the focus of the education system and the competences that are demanded by the labour market.
Part of the problem is low awareness of the importance of technical and vocational education and gender stereotypes persist towards career selection. Students, parents and teachers are often unaware of the potential of technical and vocational education in terms of employment opportunities and improving living conditions. Consequently, most of them opt for general secondary education.
Local communities, teachers and school leaders in secondary education improve the quality and relevance of guidance in educational and career orientation and – correspondingly – technical and vocational education.
- Ministry of Education and Training - Secondary Education Department (MOET - SED)
- Department of Teachers and Educational Administrators
- National Women’s Union
- Departments of Education and Training of Nghe An and Quang Nam
- Provincial Women’s Union of Nghe An, Quang Nam, Quang Ngai and Thai Nguyen
This programme has four result areas.
- At the provincial level, VVOB supports the capacities of the Departments of Education and Training in two provinces, so they are able to organise student-centred and gender sensitive career guidance in secondary education.
- VVOB assists the National Women's Union in its efforts to support the provincial women's associations on career guidance.
- The role of the parents is crucial in educational orientation. Therefore VVOB supports the departments of the Women’s Union in four provinces. The aim is to strengthen the skills of parents in the career guidance of their children.
- In addition, VVOB works with national partners to increase the range of the approach on career guidance. This is done through support to the Department of Teachers and Educational Administrators of the Ministry of Education and Training in providing professional training on career guidance to teachers and school leaders.