Access to early childhood education is very low in Zambia, especially among vulnerable groups. Only 17.3% of children enrolled in primary education, enjoyed any kind of early childhood education. Moreover, the quality of early childhood education is often substandard. Zambia needs good early childhood education teachers.
Teachers and school leaders provide all pupils in early education (pre-primary education and the first years of primary education) equal opportunities for improving their further education and future.
- Ministry of Education, Science, Vocational Training and Early Education (MESVTEE)
- TESS - Directorate for Teacher education and Special Services
- DODE - Directorate for Open and Distance Education
- Colleges of Education for Early Education (3)
- Teacher Resource Centres (District Resource Centres and Zonal Resource Centres)
The programme in Zambia focuses on the training of early childhood education teachers. It has three result areas.
- The Ministry of Education, Science, Vocational Training and Early Education will support and monitor the provision of quality training for early childhood education teachers.
- The three Colleges of Education responsible for the training of early childhood education teachers (David Livingstone College of Education, Kitwe College of Education and Zambia Institute of Special Education) will be able to provide a quality and gender sensitive training that corresponds to the official syllabus of early childhood education.
- The District Teacher Resource Centres support the Zonal Teacher Resource Centres in the further training of early childhood education teachers in 18 specific zones.