Would you like to contribute to the improvement of the quality of education worldwide?
Hello! We’re excited to see you found your way to this job opening. That must mean you share our ambition to ensure learners around the world enjoy their fundamental human right to quality education, without exception. We’re looking forward to hearing from you.
But first things first. Allow us to introduce ourselves, drawing on the great mystery behind our name. Since our establishment in 1982, ‘VVOB’ has evolved from a complex (Dutch) acronym to a stand-alone concept meaning education for development:
- VVOB stands for ‘commitment’ – to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals by 2030.
- VVOB stands for ‘integrity’ and ‘mutual respect’ – in working with our partner organisations across 10 countries/3 continents.
- VVOB stands for ‘quality’ and ‘innovation’ – of everything we do in our effort to improve education worldwide.
Do you still feel like you’re in the right place? Great, because we’re hiring an expat MEAL for TVET to strengthen our team in Ecuador.
VVOB in Ecuador
VVOB Ecuador, together with its strategic partners, the Ministry of Education, the Technical University of Manabí and the Pontifical Catholic University of Ecuador, is implementing the third phase of the F-EFTP 2017-2021 programme (Strengthening Technical and Vocational Education and Training) and also the SFST 2018-2021 programme (Skilling for Sustainable Tourism). The programmes focus on developing skills in school leaders and teachers at the Technical Secondary Education level in the provinces of Esmeraldas (Zone 1), Manabí (Zone 4) and Santo Domingo de los Tsáchilas (Zone 4) and Cantón Quito (Zone 9) so that they can ensure quality teaching and learning processes for their students, which will improve their technical and soft skills in order to increase their opportunities for access to decent employment. In the current of 2021 the new multiyear plan will be formulated for the period 2022-2026.
Purpose of the function:
The Research and Learning Advisor is to be based in Quito, with extensive travel to the field operations in mentioned provinces, for protracted periods of time. Reporting to the Country Programmes Manager, the Research and Learning Advisor works in close collaboration with the VVOB Education Advisors and Coordinators and supports all investigation, M&E and formulation activities/processes. The Research and Learning advisor is responsible for the research led by VVOB and its partners as well as of the formulation of activities/processes, and is actively involved in the M&E of VVOB's programmes in Ecuador. (S)he reports directly to the Country Programmes Manager.
The Research and Learning advisor acts like an expert, quality caretaker and role model.
- You guide the formulation of the new programmes with the VVOB programme team;
- You support the M&E advisor and VVOB programme team in the construction of correspondent logframes and indicators and instruments for data collection both qualitatively and quantitatively;
- You assist other VVOB Advisors in monitoring and evaluating programme results, through further development and implementation of a VVOB Ecuador M&E system;
- You lead the reporting and closure of both running projects in 2021 ensuring that all narrative reporting requirements are supported by timely and accurate programme and activity reports;
- You conduct visits to field sites to observe, monitor, and provide guidance and support to ensure that quality data is collected and analysed regularly and effectively;
- You identify relevant research domains related to the VVOB programme & elaborate terms of reference for M&E, research and systematisation consultancies & ensure a close follow up on this from start to end;
- You create a clear evidence-base to underpin decisions and changes to our programmes & actively promote evidence-based learning within VVOB Ecuador;
- You take part in networking and advocacy in education sector working groups and taskforces in which VVOB Ecuador is active and you establish and maintain strong linkages with research partners in the development sector;
- You initiate, supervise and improve the process of internal and external knowledge development and change;
- You are actively engaged in expanding VVOB’s funding base (liaising with potential donors, writing proposals).
If you’re our Research & Learning advisor, your workweek at the office will include the following highlights:
- To maintain a strong linkage with national research partners, you have an exchange meeting with a national investigation centre, the National Direction of Investigation of the Ministry of Education or the National Institute for Education Evaluation;
- You give a presentation during an online conference on recent research related to evidence based decision making;
- You seek synergy and cooperation with other donors such as UN agencies, and the Organization of Ibero-American States amongst others;
- You organise an internal training for VVOB on systematisation and later that week an external training for partners on high quality evidence and data collection;
- Lunch! A perfect way to informally check in with some of your colleagues, within or outside our organisation, involved in other aspects of the programme;
- You gather and analyse data in the field through surveys, focus group or other methodologies and instruments defined in the monitoring plans to produce high quality data and reporting, in function of the internal learning needs of the programme and donor requirements;
- In a team meeting with the programme team, you share some interesting articles on TVET and teacher training, as further inspiration for the team.
Note that the function profile can be revised in the course of the implementation of the programme to ensure achievement of all set targets. Any other duties can be assigned by the Country Programmes Manager in line with the position holder’s capacities.
Who are you?
This position is an expat position, which means the position is open to all candidates who are not a citizen of the country where the position is located.
Qualifications, experience and competences you bring to our team:
Language: Fluent in English and Spanish
- Relevant Master degree or Doctoral degree;
- Minimum 5 years of experience in programme and/or project management preferably in international development cooperation, in particular on M&E;
- Experience with networking and communication strategies;
- Research experience preferably in the education sector
- Experience in the education sector and knowledge of recent developments in the education sector, preferably in vocational education and/or teacher training will be an added advantage;
- Track record of published research is an asset;
- Experience with working in a multicultural team is an asset;
- Able to work under pressure and keep a good sense of humour;
- Knowledge and understanding of qualitative and quantitative research/evaluation methodologies and statistical sampling methods is an asset.
VVOB core competences:
- Results and goal oriented
- Lifelong learning and improvement
- Cooperation within a team and with other stakeholders
Function specific competences:
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong organising skills
- 360° empathy
- Proactivity and work with minimum supervision
What we’re offering:
- A full-time contract until 31/12/2026, with the possibility of extension depending on the availability of donor funding;
- A dynamic working environment in an international context;
- An exciting job in a growing organization with varied responsibilities and opportunities for professional development;
- An attractive expat salary and benefits package including the shipping of personal belongings, an initial settlement allowance, insurances, housing allowance, school fee allowance, annual family home travel ticket and pension savings.
As soon as possible!
VVOB’s office in Quito, Ecuador - with extensive travel to the field operations.
Your motivation letter and a detailed CV are expected to be sent by e-mail no later than 30/11/2020 to email@example.com
Shortlisted candidates will take a written test, go through an interview process and an assessment, before a final offer.
VVOB firmly believes that quality education can only be achieved if equity is ensured. Qualities of people prevail, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity or disability.
Is this not exactly the job you are looking for? Please have a look at our other vacancies at